Thursday 9 November 2017

Mini Break to Budapest | Day 4

Finally, I'm writing up the final day of our Budapest trip! I've unintentionally spread these blog posts out, but it's actually been so nice going back through our photographs and reliving our mini break to Budapest.

For our final day we'd saved up the most historical tourist attraction, the Buda Castle. But I feel like I should put a little disclaimer right here. We were both expecting to see a castle - clue's in the title right? - but there's actually no 'Castle' as such to see... 

The most fun way to get up to the Buda "Castle" on the hill is to ride the funicular - it even has fun in the title.

As soon as we stepped off the funicular I honestly felt like we'd stepped into Duloc. 
(If you have no idea where I mean, firstly we can't be friends, secondly take a look here for a quick education.) Everywhere was so clean and tidy!

So although we were expecting an actual Castle awaiting us, Buda Castle actually refers to the old castle grounds. This includes a stunning cathedral and the Fisherman's Bastion - the name given to the terraced walkway along the edge of the castle, looking down over Budapest.

After walking around the stunning castle grounds and taking in the amazing view over the river Danube, it was time to eat! We'd heard a lot about Budapest's delicious street food and were ready to try some for ourselves.

Lewis tried a 'Langos' - a very indulgent dish. Essentially a deep fried pizza base, smothered in sour cream, garlic oil and cheese. I was a bit sceptical, but honestly it is delicious and I'd recommend trying it when you're in Budapest!

I went for a slightly safer option and ordered a hot dog. I had instant food-order regret afterwards, thinking I'd chosen something a bit bland, but it was honestly delicious! Hungary are famous for producing paprika, so they like to include it in a lot of their dishes - including this hot dog. 

We ate at Piknik the main outside eatery up in the Buda Castle grounds, it had such a huge range of fresh food. One of my favourite things about Budapest, is all the restaurants seem to have blankets at the ready - as someone who is ALWAYS cold, I seriously appreciate a blanket.


In the afternoon, we headed back over into 'Pest for a spot of shopping and to go on the Budapest Eye. Now it doesn't exactly give the London Eye a run for it's money, it's probably more like a huge ferris wheel, but it was fun and like everything in Budapest, really cheap!


The very last thing I wanted to check off our Budapest bucket list was to try a chimney cake. Chimney cakes are a Hungarian speciality, and something you have to try when you're there. We had a quick Google to hunt down the perfect place, and it took us longer than we expected!

We had in our mind a delicious nutella filled cake, and there was only one place that served up exactly what we were hoping for. Street Cakes!


This tiny shop had a very Shoreditch feel to it, with polaroids of delicious cakes filling the wall, the whole place was very Instagrammable. You can pretty much customise your chimney cake from the start to the finish - choosing the flavour cake, sugar, filling, ice cream and toppings that you'd like!

Here are our creations...


Now I'm naturally a bit of a sweet tooth, but honestly I've never had a sugar rush quite like this. Once we got back to our apartment, I swear I honestly had the shakes. Definitely a once in a lifetime kind of treat!

And that just about sums up our Budapest experience! I'd love to hear if you're thinking of going or if you've ever been before? Share your Budapest blog links below, I'd love to read them and see what you got up to :)
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig